An Introduction to FGM, Forced Marriage, Spirit Possession and Honour-based Violence
This course is specifically designed to help people coming into contact with young people and their families during the course of their work to promote good safeguarding practice, whilst being culturally aware.
On completion you will:
- Have an understanding of the four main types of abuse that stem from culture related traditions: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), Honour Based Violence, Spirit Possession and Forced Marriage.
- Be more aware of the specific cultural and religious needs of others and confident at conversing with those from a differing cultural background.
- Recognise how important cultural awareness is in supporting the best possible outcomes for all children.
Areas covered include:
- Welcome and Learning Objectives
- Overview and Background
- Cultural Traditions – Forced Marriage and Honour Based Violence
- Introduction - Forced Marriage
- Risk factors
- Indicators and Signs
- Legal Position
- Case Study
- Definition - Honour Based Violence
- Risk factors
- Cultural Rituals – Female Genital Mutilation
- Why does it happen?
- Legal Aspects
- Cultural Beliefs – Abuse Linked to Spirit Possession and Witchcraft
- Types of Abuse
- Cultural Beliefs
- Risk Factors
On completion of this course you will be able to download a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 1 - 2 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like.
This module is aimed primarily at practitioners working with children, young people and their families
Book a course