Overview - Safer Recruitment
This Safer Recruitment course teaches key points to protecting children in care. The module considers statistics relating to safer recruitment, the background to the introduction of the more robust safer recruitment processes, which followed the Bichard Inquiry, which looked at the recruitment of Ian Huntley in the Soham case.
This course covers the legal requirement relevant to anybody involved in the recruitment of people who work with children, young people or vulnerable adults.
On completion of this course learners will:
- Know the background behind safer recruitment
- Recognise relevant legislation and guidance
- Understand safer recruitment practice
- Be able to assess and recruit suitable candidates
You will cover relevant legislation, including:
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006
- Protection of Freedoms Act 2012
When you’ve completed this online training you will sit an online test and, once successful, you can download your Virtual College certificate.
This module will provide staff with important knowledge on how to keep children safe.
The subjects covered in this module include:
- Soham timeline
- Recruitment – Pre-2004
- Bichard Inquiry
- Legislation ad guidance
- Legislation and Guidance
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 (SVGA 2006)
- Clarifications to the SVGA 2006
- SVGA 2006
- SVGA 2006 Vetting and Barring Scheme – continuing arrangements
- New vetting criminal records ad barring service
- Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA 2012)
- SVGA 2006 and PoFA 2012 - relationship
- Safer recruitment – from September 2012
- The new criminal records and barring scheme (PoFA 2012)
- A new definition of regulated activity
- Repeal of ‘controlled activity’
- Repeal of registration and continuous monitoring
- Repeal of additional information
- Minimum age for DBS checks
- More rigorous relevancy test
- Best practice for safer recruitment
- Guidance notes
- Job and person specifications
- Equal opportunities policy
- Application forms
- Advertising for candidates
- Checks before interview
- Candidate shortlist
- Interviewing the selected candidate
- Conditional offer of employment
- Induction, training and supervision of new staff
The content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On completion of this course you will be able to print a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 2 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. The course is self-paced with approximately 58 interactive screens with multiple components. You do not have to complete all the training in one session. Your progress will be recorded throughout.
This course is suitable for anybody involved in the recruitment of people who will work with children.
Book a course