E-Safety Guidance for Practitioners
Overview - eSafety – Guidance for Practitioners
Technology is affecting younger age groups. Whereas earlier generations had to be content with dressing up as a cowboy or princess, nowadays instead of using toy guns, boys and girls are armed with games consoles, mobile phones and the monster weapon that is the internet.
Children don’t only have access to technologies at home; ICT is embedded across the curriculum, so with such exposure children typically have a lot of confidence. However, their knowledge of the risks and dangers may not be high.
As the internet is available in many places; anyone who works with children has a role to play in providing eSafety education as well as supporting parents in providing a safe home environment.
By completing this course, learners will:
- Develop awareness of different ways in which children and young people use the internet and mobile technology
- Develop awareness of the possible risks to children and young people when using different methods of online and mobile communication
- Be able to identify key eSafety practices of which children and young people should be aware
- Know how to report abusive behaviour online
- Know what to do if a child discloses an experience of abusive online behaviour
- Be aware of further online eSafety support
- Welcome and Learning Objectives
- The importance of internet safety
- The benefits and risks of being online
- Forms of communication media
- How to protect young people online
The content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On completion of this course you will be able to download a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 1 hour. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like.
This module will be useful for anyone who works with, or is involved with children during the course of their work, including parents.
Book a course